All You Need to Know about International Driving Permit: A quick guide for Indian Residents
International Driving Permit is like a driving license that you have but it just enable you to drive in foreign nation. This could be of great use when you are going out for a holiday or a business trip. With increasing popularity of self-driven cars, this becomes a necessity on every trip you take. The legality of the document is authorized by the United Nations. The license is also translated in up to 10 different languages so that the authorities in the country can read and the permit. To apply for the IDP, you need to submit the required documents at the Regional Transport Office along with the Application Fee and the License would be delivered in 3 – 4 working days.
Here is the list of documents that you need to submit.
- Form 4 and Medical Form 1 – A
- A Copy of Valid Driving License issued by the RTO
- A copy of Address Proof
- A Copy of the first and the last page of Passport
- A Copy of the Visa of the visiting country.
- 3-5 passport size photographs
- Proof of Nationality
- A copy of Valid Air Tickets
Once you have all the documents ready, here is what you need to do
- Visit your Regional Transport Office between 8:30 AM and 1 PM.
- Locate the desk for the application of IDP and submit the form along the supporting documents mentioned above and also with the Fee of 500 INR.
- After simply submitting the application, obtain the receipt of the submission of the form.
- The licence will be delivered at your doorstep in 3 to 4 working days.
Please note that the IDP is valid for 1 year from the date of issue or it is valid until your Driving Licence in the home country expires. So it becomes important to check the expiry of the Driving Licence before getting the IDP issue.
Here comes the exciting part, there are total 14 countries where you can drive with a Valid IDP. The list goes like –
- United States of America
- United Kingdom
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- And Norway
Now you can go and obtain the IDP to make you trip more memorable if you are visiting any of the above mentioned Country. Have a safe and memorable vacation.